What Exactly is Online Therapy?
Online therapy or teletherapy may be a helpful treatment option for you if you're looking for psychotherapy for stress, relationship issues, grief, depression, anxiety, or another mental health issue. Here is everything you need to know.
Technology has changed how people interact with their therapists. You only require an internet-enabled device and a strong internet connection to have a session with a certified therapist. The content and quality of counseling remain unaffected since you still see and communicate with the therapist virtually.
Online counseling or teletherapy has been a therapeutic option for a couple of years. However, it increased exponentially during the pandemic. In this form of therapy, sessions occur via the internet in the safety and comfort of your home.
Why Choose Online Therapy with Simplicity Psychotherapy
- It can be convenient. Online counseling can help you avoid missing work or worrying about traffic. Your session can take place in any private space where you feel most comfortable.
- Online communication is very comfortable for many people, especially younger adults or those who frequently use technology. With today’s norm of communicating via email, webinars, and text messages, using technology can sometimes feel more natural or convenient than speaking to someone face-to-face, especially when disclosing sensitive or private information.
- At Simplicity Psychotherapy, teletherapy provides access to counseling to those who have difficulty traveling to the office. Persons with disabilities or chronic illnesses may not be able to leave their home or drive. Additionally, in certain rural areas, the closest psychologist's office can be an hour or two's drive away. Online therapy options allow many to access the services necessary for appropriate care.
The Benefits of Teletherapy Include:
- Convenience - Clients have easy access to counseling via computer, tablet or phone regardless of their location in Georgia
- Effectiveness - Online therapy has been found to be just as effective as in-person options.
- Accessibility - treatment occurs in the comfort of your home or the preferred location.
- Timeliness - No time spent traveling between appointments could mean more time with family or less time in Atlanta traffic. Both are great benefits!
- Comfort - It may be easier to discuss difficult topic in your own space rather than an unfamiliar office.
Tips of Consideration Before Logging On
Teletherapy is not for everybody. While it does not require a lot of technicalities, some people may not find this form of therapy appealing. Before signing up for online services there are a few things to keep in mind, here are a couple of things to consider:
- Is your therapist licensed? – Be mindful to research certifications, licenses, reviews, or any accreditations before taking on an online therapist.
- Is the site secure? - Therapy sessions should be private and confidential. Your therapist should provide a secure and safe platform without data breach risks or unsolicited recordings and data usage.
- Do you have the needed technology? - Without proper equipment or a stable internet connection video feeds can lag or break up making the therapy experience stressful.
- Where will the sessions occur? - Privacy and confidentiality are significant factors in counseling.
The Disadvantages of Online Therapy Include:
- A reliable internet connection is required. This may be difficult in rural areas.
- Internet or power disruptions may interfere with therapy quality.
- Online counseling can seem impersonal to some
- Privacy may be an issue if you don't live alone.
- Insurance may limit teletherapy options
- The therapist may fail to pick non-verbal cues through the video call.
Is Online Therapy in Georgia For You?
Meeting with your understanding therapist via video without leaving your home or office changes the game. It’s easier than ever to fit sessions into your busy schedule. Simplicity Psychotherapy offers online counseling sessions on an ongoing weekly basis or as a convenient option when your schedule interferes with your office visit. Get started by following these steps:
Types of Counseling we Offer Through Online Therapy in Georgia
At Simplicity Psychotherapy, we specialize in individual therapy for Black women and Black men. This includes anxiety therapy, depression therapy, and substance use support. We also offer a variety of options for relationships. This includes premarital counseling, couples therapy, and marriage counseling. Additionally, for both individual and relationship counseling, we prioritize providing LGBTQIA+ affirming services.
Rayvéne is a Licensed Professional Counselor and Master Addiction Counselor in Atlanta, GA.
Empowering you to remove the mask of other people’s expectations and have the Audacity to be themselves.
Note: While the information above is intended to provide insight as you begin your journey they are not intended to replace the guidance of a trained professional. Exploring these concerns in the presence of a licensed counselor or other licensed professional may provide deeper insight and assist in managing more multifaceted concerns that may arise.